Jun 8, 2010

Rude, Still Rude

I went to Central Market, for the first time, after many years.

It was a popular spot for me to hang out with friends while waiting for our tuition class (at Kasturi) to start.

I'd been, well, quite fascinated with all the colourful and exotic items sold in Central Market.

So there I was, once again, with my Canon DSLR, eager to snap some nice photos.

You know how excited amateurs, like myself, would be.

Clad in a sleeveless top and a short pants and a pair of Crocs, I thought I looked like a tourist.

Even if I didn't look like a tourist, my company was indeed a Japanese.

Our first stop was the "Malay Street."

I couldn't help but feeling that we were not welcomed, judging by the "I am not interested to serve you" faces of the promoters there.

Before I took a step into this particular street, I was scouting for the "No Photographs" sign, just in case.

But, I couldn't find any. Maybe I was too busy handling my camera.

So, I pushed the "Shoot" button a few times, when I was walking along the "Malay Street" section.

Nobody said anything to me.

They didn't even seem to care.

Most of the sales assistants were either sitting comfortably on chairs or standing and staring at us.

When I was about to take another shot of this particular shop selling a myriad collection of masks, one man, in his 50s, dashed past us and shouted, "No photos!", very loudly.

I was stunned, but somehow, I remembered to be courteous.

I said, "Sorry."

I was glad to see that Central Market had undergone a facelift, thanks to the transfer of ownership.

But, to my surprise, the attitude of the workers (or owners) hasn't changed a bit.

I'm amused by that fact.

It's been imparted into the culture, I suppose.

It was a disappointing trip to Central Market.

If the man had approached us and told us politely, I would hopped on happily.

But, no. 

I'm a local, but I experienced a culture shock that day.

How did that happen??

I need to go out more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails